This book, written by Howard Hills, a territorial law expert, with a foreword by a former U.S. Attorney General, underscores the real issues underlying the PR fiscal crisis that Congress is addressing.
It’s a readable book with clear explanations of how the current situation came about and what must be done to resolve the problem and carry Puerto Rico forward toward a positive future.
- Puerto Rican Identity and American Democracy
- Consent of the Governed
- Restoring America’s Anti-Colonial Values
- Self-determination: An American Tradition
- National Citizenship in Puerto Rico
- Advent of “Balzac Citizenship” for Puerto Rico
- Sources of U.S. Citizenship Rights
- “Balzac Citizenship” —an Incomplete Status
- Curse of the “Happy Imperialist”
- Restoring Northwest Ordinance
- Principles For Puerto Rico
- Afterword: The Prospect Now Before Us
- A Statehood Primer – History of Statehood: Lessons for Puerto Rico
The book also includes a detailed timeline of Puerto Rico history, an introduction to the paths to statehood of the current 50 States, and a retrospective of the United States flag as stars have been added.