If you live in Florida, PR51st wants you to help with our Grassroots Activation Initiative. This is a way to make sure that we reach the most critical legislators in the United States. We’re starting with Florida.
Florida can help make Puerto Rico a state!
Florida has the largest Puerto Rican population of any of the 50 states. There are over 1.2 million Puerto Ricans living in Florida.
Polls among these voters show that they favor statehood for Puerto Rico. 57% in a recent poll said they want statehood, 26% want the current territorial status, and 6%.want independence.
Florida is a very important swing state in the 2020 presidential elections. Candidate Michael Bloomberg says, “The road to the White House goes through Florida.”
What should Floridians do?
First, register to vote. Your official voter registration page is available in Spanish and English, and you can check there and make sure you are registered to vote in Florida. If you do not vote, you have no voice. Make sure you are registered.
Then reach out to your representatives.
Here’s the list of the most critical legislators and how to reach them:
- Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL)
- Phone: 202-224-3041
- Twitter: @SenRubioPress
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SenatorMarcoRubio/
- Sen. Rick Scott (R-FL)
- Phone: 202-224-5274
- Twitter: @SenRickScott
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RickScottSenOffice/
You can also email your senators with the tool on the Florida Senators page.
- Rep. Kathy Castor (D-FL-14)
- Phone: 202-225-3376
- Twitter: @USRepKCastor
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/USRepKathyCastor/
- Rep. Ted Deutch (D-FL-22)
- Phone: 202-225-3001
- Twitter: @RepTedDeutch
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CongressmanTedDeutch/
- Rep. Lois Frankel (D-FL-21)
- Phone: 202-225-9890
- Twitter: @RepLoisFrankel
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RepLoisFrankel/
- Rep. Frederica Wilson (D-FL-24)
- Phone: 202-225-4506
- Twitter: @RepWilson
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RepWilson/
- Rep. Ted Yoho (R-FL-03)
- Phone: 202-225-5744
- Twitter: @RepTedYoho
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CongressmanTedYoho/
- Rep. Brian Mast (R-FL-18)
- Phone: 202-225-3026
- Twitter: @RepBrianMast
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RepBrianMast/
- Rep. Greg Steube (R-FL-17)
- Phone: 202-225-5792
- Twitter: @RepGregSteube
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RepGregSteube
- Rep. Alfred Lawson (D-FL-05)
- Phone: 202-225-0123
- Twitter: @RepAlLawsonJr
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RepAlLawsonJr/
- Rep. Vern Buchanan (R-FL-16)
- Phone: 202-225-5015
- Twitter: @VernBuchanan
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CongressmanBuchanan/
- Rep. Debbie Mucarsel-Powell (D-FL-26)
- Phone: 202-225-2778
- Twitter: @RepDMP
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RepDMP/
- Rep. Dan Webster (R-FL-11)
- Phone: 202-225-1002
- Twitter: @RepWebster
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RepWebster/
You can also reach out to your members of Congress with our Contact Your Legislators tool.
Finally, ask your friends and neighbors to do the same. An estimated 350,000 Puerto Ricans are registered to vote in Florida. Imagine if just 10% of those voters let their representatives know they wanted statehood for Puerto Rico!